BCC Rotary Service Projects
Turkey Chase Annual Race - Signature Fundraiser
November 24, 2016, Thanksgiving morning at 8:30 am.
The 2016 event saw over 9,000 runners and their families come out on Thanksgiving morning for the Turkey Chase Race. This tradition has been celebrated in Bethesda, MD for over three decades, with participants from Bethesda, surrounding communities, nearby states and even military bases overseas. The event features a 2-mile fun run, a USATF-certified 10K race, and a 50-meter Tot Trot, where kids chase the elusive Turkey mascot. Turkey Chase is the largest annual fundraiser for both the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Rotary Club and YMCA, two of Montgomery County’s most notable organizations. Over $4.5 million has been raised since the race’s inception to improve the lives of millions of at-risk children and families in our community, award grants, scholarships and provide financial assistance through the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Rotary Club Foundation and the YMCA B-CC.
The 2016 Turkey Chase Race 32nd year raised $169,745; of which 80% went to the YMCA Bethesda-Chevy Chase and 20% to other local and international projects through the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Rotary Club Foundation. Additionally, the Principal’s Prize awards money to public and private school principals who have the most sign-ups from their school: $1,500 went to Walter Johnson High School and $500 to Lycee Rochambeau French International School.
Turkey Chase Race Sponsors include: Road Runner Sports, Sanford and Doris Slavin Foundation, The Community Foundation, Chevy Chase Auto, Marshfield Associates, AMR, Dembo Jones, Suburban Hospital, RBC, Cresa, Not Your Average Joes, Robert A. Pumphrey Funeral Homes, Bethesda Magazine, Mark IV Builders, Inc., Carl M. Freeman Foundation, Dr. Leonard Goldman, PA, Moments of Truth, Pepsi, Boy Scouts of America, BGE Home, Breads Unlimited, Spring Mill Bread Co., Sun Dun Beverage, Ruppert Landscape, Print 1.
Strut Your Mutt - Spring fundraiser
Our club’s spring fundraiser is Strut Your Mutt, where Bethesda goes to the dogs with thousands of people and dogs congregating in downtown Bethesda. A day was given the gift of “silly” for a serious cause – many wonderful dogs found forever homes and money was raised for the Montgomery County Humane Society and the B-CC Rotary Foundation which in turn supports many local and international charities including, A Wider Circle, Bethesda Cares, Polio Plus and the Basra Prosthetics for Life Project.
The 2015 Strut Your Mutt 10 yr raised $8,200 of which 80% goes to B-CC Foundation to fund local and international grants, and 20% went to Montgomery County Humane Society. The event was kicked off by the Pooch Parade and then the Canine Contests judged by Montgomery County Council Members Roger Berliner and Nancy Floreen, Bethesda Battalion Fire Chief Jim Resnick, Trawick Foundation founder and President Carol Trawick, Cris Bombaugh, Pres. of Montgomery County Humane Society, and B-CC Rotary President George Nash. Prizes were given out for “best dressed”, “best kisser”, “best singer”, “largest & smallest dogs”, and the first place prize for “best trick” was given to Bella the dog.
The stage was then taken by DC Actors for Animals who ran rescue events all afternoon, and entertainers The Hummingbyrds and Nick DePinto were singing from the stage. It was a great time to be a dog in Bethesda!
Other Community Service Projects
- Rotary Drink and Information Booth at Taste of Bethesda (October)
- Club members sell drinks and spread the word about Rotary at a community event, Taste of Bethesda.
- Thanksgiving Turkey Drive (November)
- Donations and volunteers to buy 1,000 turkeys for needy families in Montgomery County. Working with All Saints Church and A Wider Circle.
- Children’s Shopping Spree (December)
- Members and their families take 35-45 children from underprivileged families in Montgomery County shopping at Sears Montgomery Mall. Our club provides the money to purchase gift cards for each child to buy clothes, shoes coats, hats and gloves and sometimes a present for mom. Afterwards we have a bowling/pizza party.
- Holiday Party (December)
- Club’s Holiday event is usually hosted by a club member with the donations going to The Rotary Foundation for Polio Plus.
- A Wider Circle Service Day (Spring)
- Collection & purchase of Essential Items, and volunteers for a service day at A Wider Circle to benefit families in Montgomery County.
- Backpack Program (Monthly)
- Purchase & pack up snack foods that go to kids from underprivileged families so they have something to eat over the weekend. We partner with Bethesda Elementary School and Women Who Care Ministries.